Tuesday 1 July 2008

Davina McCall: 'I've Had Marriage Counseling'

Big Brother host Davina McCall has for the first time revealed the furious bust-ups that almost ended her marriage.


The 40-year-old TV star said she and her husband, former Pet Rescue presenter Matthew Robertson, had several counseling sessions in a bid to save their relationship.


Speaking to Janet Street-Porter for British magazine Marie Claire, Davina -- who has previously denied any problems in her eight-year marriage -- said, "I like to talk things through and Matthew, like most men, doesn't. He'll generally say, 'This is ridiculous,' and walk out.


"I'm left huffing and thinking, 'I need to talk about this!' Under duress he'll sit down and listen if he has to."


In the interview, due to be published this week, mother of three Davina admitted that five years ago she and Matthew went to see a therapist. They had four sessions, "not because we were splitting up, but because we were bickering a lot," she says.


"We had this stumbling block and every time we started talking about it, we'd have a row. So we needed a mediator to say, 'Hang on a minute, let Matthew talk. Right Davina, how do you feel?� Afterwards we were like, 'Blimey. We've achieved in 90 minutes what we�ve been trying to talk about for six weeks,'" she said.


Davina stressed the therapy worked and now she couldn�t imagine life without Matthew.


She explained, "It was the best thing we�ve done and I've recommended it to lots of friends. I can't imagine ever being with anybody else now. I'm so ensconced with Matthew I don't know what I'd do without him. I'd be lost."


Davina also revealed how she's still haunted by her drink and drugs demons and religiously attends addiction recovery meetings, even though she�s been clean for 16 years. "I go twice a week. I've been going to them for 15 years and no one has ever blown my anonymity. I think everybody who is trying to get themselves off drugs is entitled to a bit of privacy.


"If their anonymity has been blown and they don't feel safe at those meetings, they may well never go back and they might die.


"I had a really nice boy at my meetings who died last week. He had a relapse and died. Accidental overdose. It's life and death. It's not a game.


"I go to meetings every week, not because I�m on the verge of relapse but because it keeps me sane."




See Also